An extension is a software package that extends your Joomla! installation in some way. The most common Joomla extensions are Templates, Components, Modules and Plugins.
An extension is a software package that extends your Joomla! installation in some way. A small selection of extensions is included with the default Joomla! installation but many more are available from the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
The term extension is generic and the following specific extension types are available in Joomla (listed alphabetically):
- Component (since Joomla 1.0) – adds custom functions to your site that can be selected from menus
- Language (since Joomla 1.0) – defines an additional language for your site
- Library (since Joomla 2.5) – provides functions to be used by other extensions
- Module (since Joomla 1.0) – shows nonessential data in a side box, possibly on multiple pages
- Package (since Joomla 2.5) – bundles related extensions
- Plugin (since Joomla 1.5) – modifies content in articles or provides functions to extend other extensions
- Template (since Joomla 1.0) – define the look, feel, and navigation capabilities of your site