I did an akeeba backup of a live Joomla 2.5.28 site where this issue doesn't exist. Used kickstart to install the backup on my localhost (xampp) and when I go to the administrator login page and enter my credentials, I'm being redirected to the frontend. Manually returning to administrator folder returns the login page. I am able to login on the frontend.
Things I've tried;
- Password reset via phpmyadmin (as I stated I can login on frontend)
- Disabled plugins that might be url redirect related. I'm not using JSecure. Plugins that I've disabled include sef, admintools, sh404sef, and a few others which may be suspect.
- Removed the .htaccess files
- Set the live site url in configuration.php
- overrite all system files with a fresh J v2.5.28
- traceroute on frontend index returns null
I've spent hours and hours searching and have found no working solution. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!