When I attempt to log in to the admin panel of my site (Joomla 2.5), I get a 403 permission error. A number of sources report solutions (none of which have worked in my case, see below) and I am wondering how to troubleshoot this problem appropriately.
- the main website is functioning properly, and there is no evidence that the site has been hijacked
- I have successfully accessed the admin panel in the past with my current credentials
- My error log reports that client denied by server configuration
- As noted here the permissions of the administrator folder are set correctly
- There is no .htaccess file in the administrator directory. There is one in the main website directory with a Limit POST entry.
- Some instances of this problem appear to be resolved by contacting the host of the webserver. I'm currently in communication with my provider, and will delete this question if the problem is not Joomla-related.
(Do we need an administration tag?)