If you have a question while learning about, using, or developing Joomla, then it's likely to be on-topic. In the spirit of optimising the knowledge sharing experience, Joomla Stack Exchange has a generous/broad question scope. There are some exceptions; see What types of questions should I avoid asking?
To clear up any misconceptions, it can be perfectly valid to ask questions about using Joomla in a non-development capacity.
Furthermore, by asking for support on Joomla Stack Exchange, there is a much higher probability of receiving Joomla-specific advice for basic programming problems versus asking on a non-Joomla support platform. Potential scenarios include page re-directing, secure database querying, AJAX processing, and more.
On-topic questions are likely to belong to one of the categories in the non-exhaustive list below.
- Installation, Administration & Configuration
- Templates & Extensions Development
- Using Joomla API
- Integrations between Joomla and other Platforms - pertaining to the Joomla side of things.
- Development and Administration Best Practices
- Server Configuration for Joomla
- 3rd party Extensions, Templates, Hosting
- Extension Recommendations -- please read this JSE Meta page.
- To better understand how to ask a good, on-topic question, please see the other help pages relating to Asking.
- Watch ♦mickmackusa's JDay USA 2021 presentation on Joomla Support Platforms and hear an impassioned explanation of why you should post your Joomla questions on Joomla Stack Exchange.
- See this Meta page if you wish to discuss the content on this help page.