What topics can I ask about here?
Main On-Topic Questions:
- Installation, Administration & Configuration
- Templates & Extensions Development
- Using Joomla API
- Integrations between Joomla and other Platforms - pertaining to the Joomla side of things.
- Development and Administration Best Practices
- Server Configuration for Joomla
[TO-DO] Link to meta Topic with Examples of Good and Bad Questions for each category.
Questions about 3rd party Extensions, Templates, Hosting:
Questions asking for extensions recommendations or support may be, or may not be considered on-topic, It depends on the overall context of the question and how it is being asked. Please read the following discussions in our Meta site for more information:
- Recommendations - Please read: https://joomla.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/64/are-extension-recommendations-on-topic
- Supporting 3rd Party Extensions and Templates
This requires detailed knowledge of the workings of this software, so support by the community of JSE is difficult. With thousands of extensions and templates available, such knowledge is very specialized. There can be some exceptions though. For example, very popular, commonly used extensions could be considered on topic for JSE.
Also read this meta for more info: https://joomla.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/305/are-questions-about-configuring-3rd-party-joomla-extensions-on-topic
Definitely, if you need support for 3rd party extensions, you should make sure you have first read the documentation of the extension, then exhaust the support channels that are available from the extensions' developers.
In most cases, the following type of questions will be considered as Off-Topic.
Not Directly Specific to Joomla:
- Generic SEO - you may be luckier at WebmastersSE
- Generic Security or writing Secure Code - try SecuritySE or StackOverflow
- Generic server configuration and administration - try ServerFault
- Hosting issues - Contact your hosting provider.
Too Localized, Work-for-me-for-free, require Professional Hands-on involvement, or Reporting Bugs or Security Vulnerabilities:
- Reporting and requesting a fix for Joomla Security Vulnerabilities or Bugs. If it's older Joomla version - update immediately. If it's the latest Joomla Version, then use Joomla.org and report there what you have found.
- Fixing syntax errors, ask to work on code with restricted access, or on a problem that can not be replicated.
- Overly complex or specific things.
- Recovering from hacks and server issues -unless you are encountering a specific issue that falls under the on-topic categories.
- Pasting some demo or tutorial code and asking to refactor it to a final workable solution to meet your specific requirements.
- Always when asking for coding help, you must present your efforts and that you are somewhat up to the task. Questions that just contain requirements and ask us to code a solution are off-topic.
- If your question fits in the context of the above 4 items, our best advice is to hire an expert to work for you, instead of asking for free work.
[TO-DO] Link to meta Topic with Examples of "Fix-my-code/Work for free" questions.
Recommended Reading on how to ask for help:
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Joomla Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
There is a Meta Discussion here: https://joomla.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/311/topics-and-questions-i-can-ask-about-here-can-you-give-us-your-feedback, where you can contribute and say your opinion.